– Azathioprine is a medication in the class of drug that are used as an immunosuppressant.
– Often used in autoimmune diseases
– A pro-drug that metabolizes into other compounds that are effective in treatment.
– Becomes 6-Mercaptopurine and 6-Thioinosinic acid
– This medication is also called [Imuran and Azasan]
Method of Action
– Action works as a Purine synthesis Inhibitor
– Stops or slows some cellular action
– Works specifically with DNA and RNA
– Decreases bone marrow growth
– Hair loss
Use during Pregnancy
Can be used on rare occasions during pregnancy when the benefit outweighs the risk