Diabetes Mellitus Type 1
Diabetes Mellitus is a chronic condition where the pancreas produces little to no insulin. It is also known as Juvenile Diabetes.
It is important to understand that there are a few different forms of Diabetes Mellitus
When it comes to Type I – this is where insulin production is lowered or not occurring in the pancreas. This causes a substantial increase in Glucose (sugar) in the blood.
Type I is also known as “juvenile“, “childhood“, and “insulin-dependent” diabetes. It is believed that the cause may be related to an autoimmune disease, genetics, a virus, or other causes.
This type of Diabetes is fundamentally different than Diabetes Type 2
Summary of Diabetes Type 1
– Pancreas Cells are often destroyed that typically produce the insulin.
– Beta cells in the pancreas produce insulin which is essential in metabolism
– Without insulin, the blood sugar [glucose] in the blood increases dramatically.
– In many cases, diabetes is first found because a large amount of Glucose is found in the urine.
– Individuals with Type 1 diabetes often are quite healthy otherwise and are not typically overweight.
– Children are often affected by Type 1 diabetes, but, adults can also be affected.
– In the United States, almost 24 million people suffer from Diabetes and almost 10% of those have been diagnosed with Type 1 – while the other 90% suffer from Type 2
Common Symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes
– Glucose in urine [Glycosuria]
– Increased frequency to urinate
– Increased thirst
– Weight loss
– The smell of Acetone on the breath
– Deep Breathing
– Overall cause is generally unknown
– Genetics play a part
– Viruses – some researches believe may be associated with some individuals
– Antibodies – some researches believe may be associated with some individuals
1.) Hypoglycemia – can be seen following medication
3.) Cardiovascular Disease
4.) Chronic Renal Failure
5.) Blindness or retinal damage
6.) Diabetic Ketoacidosis
7.) Nerve Damage
8.) Difficulty for wound healing
10.) Erectile Dysfunction
1.) Change in Diet is often essential in Diabetes. This means that you must pay more attention with what is put into your body
– Moderation of caloric intake
– Glycemic index
– Low Carb diet
– Weight loss
2.) Insulin, a medication, is required in all Type I diabetics becasue the pancreas is not producing insulin. There are several different types depending on how long they work and what they do.
MDI – Multiple daily injections of Insulin
– Insulin Glargine [Lantus] – Long Acting
– Insulin Lispro [Humalog] – Rapid Acting
– Insulin Aspart [Novolog] – Rapid Acting
– Insulin Detemir [Levemir] – Long Acting
Glucose meters – helps track and monitor blood sugar levels
– This is a medical device that stores insulin and gives it when your body needs it.
– It allows for an alternative to daily injections.
– The device remains on the body to administer insulin as needed.
3.) Pancreas Transplant and Islet Cell Transplant – are still experimental and is currently being studied
4.) Stem Cell research is ongoing
**** No cure for diabetes mellitus