Leiomyomas is a benign, non cancerous neoplasm of the smooth muscles. It is a general term because this type of neoplasm can be found in many different locations throughout the body.
Main Types of Leiomyoma
1.) Uterine Leiomyoma
2.) Esophageal Leiomyoma
3.) Small Bowel Leiomyoma
– This is also called Uterine Fibroid
– It is the most common of the female genital tract.
– Typically it is round and firm. There can be several located in the muscle or tissue
– Are typically without symptoms and are found incidentally.
Some Possible Symptoms:
3.) Urinary problems
4.) and other difficulties can occur.
Ultrasound is helpful to locate and watch the neoplasm.
– Can be varied depending on number and location.
– Watch and wait
– Surgical removal of Leiomyoma itself
– This can be the most common benign tumor of the esophagus
– Often there are no symptoms
– Difficulty eating
– Food regurgitation
– Weight Loss
– Painful Swallowing
Biopsy and Endoscopy are essential to ensure the tumor is benign
– Wait and Watch
– Removal by Endoscopy
Small Bowel Leiomyoma
– This is also referred to as a Leiomyoma of the Small Intestines
– Most common benign tumor of small intestine
– Can be found in Jejunum and Ileum
– Stool color changes [Black or Dark]
– Abdominal pain
– Abdominal mass
CT can help diagnosis Leiomyoma
– Wait and watch