Breakthrough pain, which is, the pain that occurs despite the current regimen of pain medications – often narcotics.
Actiq is seen in patients that experience pains due to long term or significant cancer or other serious illnesses.
Actiq is when Buccal fentanyl is given as a Lozenge on a handle.
Fentroa is the same medication but in a tablet form that dissolves in the mouth.
This medication is a scheduled II controlled substance per the Controlled Substance Act.
Other uses for this medication include:
– Migraine Headaches
– Cluster Headaches
– Severe back pain
– Bone injuries
– Severe Arthritis
Abuse Potential of this Medication
Abuse of this medication occurs in many different settings.
On streets, during abuse, of this medication is known as “Morphine Lollipops”.
– This medication is 80 times more potent than morphine.
Absorption by the body
– This medication is absorbed through the buccal mucosa directly into the blood stream
– 25% is absorbed inside mouth
– 75% is absorbed into the Gastrointestinal Tract.
– 50% of total dose is metabolized by liver and becomes unavailable for pain relief. [most of this is from the 75% of the dose that is absorbed in the GI tract.}