It is used to treat breakthrough pain.
Breakthrough pain is the pain felt despite a current regimen of pain medications – often narcotics.
This medication is often used in patients that are cancer patients.
Actiq is when Buccal fentanyl is given as a Lozenge on a handle.
Fentroa is the same medication but in a tablet form that dissolves in the mouth.
This medication is a scheduled II controlled substance per the Controlled Substance Act.
Other uses for this medication include:
– Migraine Headaches
– Cluster Headaches
– Severe back pain
– Bone injuries
– Severe Arthritis
Abuse of this medication occurs.
On streets, during abuse, this medication is known as “Morphine Lollipops”.
– This medication is 80 times more potent than morphine.
– This medication is absorbed through the buccal mucosa directly into the blood stream
– 25% is absorbed inside mouth
– 75% is absorbed into the Gastrointestinal Tract.
– 50% of total dose is metabolized by liver and becomes unavailable for pain relief. [most of this is from the 75% of the dose that is absorbed in the GI tract.}