Cholestasis is an impairment of bile flow from the liver to the intestines.
This is not specifically a disease itself but rather a symptom or result of other diseases.
It can also be as a result of decreased production of Bile that is typically formed in the Liver.
Stoppage of the bile can be categorized as obstructive or metabolic
Obstructive can be as a result of a gallstone or a malignancy
Metabolic occurs due to an adverse effect of a medicaiton or a genetic causation.
Increased conjugated bilirubin
Mild increase in liver enzymes can be seen
– Hypercholemia [increased serum bile salt concentration]
– Pruritus [Itching]
– Dark urine
– Failure to thrive
Ultrasound and CT may be benifical
Biliary nuclear medicine study [HIDA]
– Ursodeoxycholic acid
– Phytonadione (Vitamin K)
– Alpha tocopherol (Vitamin E)
– Vitamin A
– Ergocalciferol (Vitamin D)
– Percutaneous transhepatic Cholangiography
– Removal of Gallbladder if appropriate