It is the innermost glandular layer of tissue.
Function during Menstrual Cycle
- This lining will thicken
- Blood vessels enrich the wall
- Addition of glandular tissue
- Becomes optimal for potential Implantation of the egg when it arrives in the Uterus
- If no implant occurs – this lining will be released.
Function during Pregnancy
- Wall will continue to thicken
- Blood vessels enlarge and increase in number.
- The Placenta is formed
- Oxygen and nutrients are brought to embryo.
The Endometrial Cycle
- The lining goes through a cyclic regeneration process each month.
- Endometrium is closely regulated or affected by Estrogen and Progesterone
- Both are secreted in response to the release of an egg from the Ovaries.
- The endometrium proliferates due to the increased amount of Estrogen.
- Progesterone will also effect the layer or tissue in the Uterus.
- When implantation occurs – the lining becomes known as decidua – which later become part of the placenta
- The endometrium is now prepared for implantation.
- The cycle of building the endometrial lining takes on average 28 days.
- Different mammals are on different lengths of the cycle.
- Seasons, stress, medications, drug use, and other factors can disrupt or change this cycle.
- This is when the endometrial lining does not thicken.
- Often associated with lack of hormones or other causes
- No menstrual period is often the result
- This is when the lining of the endometrium become atrophic
- No continued mentstrual periods will occur.
- Physically unable to become pregnant after this moment
- Also related to hormones.
- Medication to stop pregnancy
- It specifically causes hormone changes that don’t allow for Endometrial growth.