Gum disease is an Inflammation of the gums [gingiva]
It is also referred to as Gingivitis
On average, 80% of the population has some degree of gum disease
Is a form of periodontal disease that involves inflammation and infection.
The tissue of the gums can be destroyed
Cause of disease is long term plaque deposits
Plaque is a sticky material that often combines mucus, food particles and bacteria.
Worsening of inflammation may lead to tooth decay and Dental Pain.
Misaligned teeth often have rough edges where increase plaque deposits may be found that may increase the risk for gingivitis.
- Bleeding of gums
- Bleeding occurs with only gentle brushing of teeth
- Tenderness of the gums
- Swelling of the gums
- Gums may appear red or purple
- Gums may appear shiny or glossy
- Sores in the mouth
Treatment and Prevention
- Dental Cleaning
- Removal of deposits from teeth
- Proper daily teeth brushing
- Flossing in between teeth
- Mouth Wash