Lipids are molecules that are considered fat-soluable or lipophilic. They help in the construction of cells and cell wall structures.
Other functions include helping in cell communication and energy storage.
Can be divided into several categories that helps distinguish chemistry properties.
1.) Fatty acyls
4.) Sterol lipids
5.) Prenol lipids
– The structure of membranes both in cell walls and organelles have large amount of lipids
– Membranes also contain cholesterol, sterols and lipids
– Several types of membranes including a sheet, and circular components
– Liposome and Micellesare forms of a lipid bi-layers
– Referred to as “lipid signaling”
– Important components in signaling molecules.
– Such signaling can lead to passing of information from cell to cell, regulation of enzymes, elements, and/or molecules, cell growth, and a list of others.
– Many are essential for life
– Abnormally elevated levels of lipids can be concerning
– Elevated cholesterol
– Can risk heart disease
– Omega-6 and Omega-3 are essential to be obtained by diet