Meconium is the first stools expressed by a newborn infant. It is typically a darker stool and is different than stool
This potentially serious medical condition or disease is often seen in those who have Cystic Fibrosis. And for many individuals this may be the first “symptom” noted. Diagnosis of Cystic Fibrosis early is important.
Obstruction can result within the intestines, creating additional complications.
Proximal to obstruction – Bowel is distended
Distal to obstruction – Bowel is narrow and empty
– Bowel distension
– Vomiting soon after birth
By the numbers
– 20% of cystic fibrosis individuals will experience meconium ileus
– Most cases of this disease is by cystic fibrosis patients
– Other causes exist as well and may be seen those with pancreas problems or no known problems
– The presences of this disease does not point to the severity expected with cystic fibrosis
– Depends on severity
– Rectum stimulation
– Water-soluble contrast enema
– Contact a medical provider
*** – When patient has this symptom cystic fibrosis is the assumed cause until proven otherwise.