The Uterus is an important hollow muscular organ in the function of the Female Reproductive System and it has several different functions.
During gestation, the fetus acts as “the womb” to allow for the development of the fetus.
The uterus lies between the Ovaries and fallopian tubes on one side and the Cervix and Vagina on the other. It mostly overlaps with the Bladder.
When something occurs in the uterus – it is described as in utero.
– As the egg becomes fertilized as it attaches to the wall of the uterus
– Typically the egg travels through the fallopian tube and implants in the lining of the uterus.
– The wall becomes the endometrium – which provides adequate nutrition for a successful implantation
– Uterus is an organ that during Pregnancy can enlarge dramatically.
Function in Sexual Response
– There is a role the uterus plays in response to sexual stimulation.
– The uterus will direct blood flow into the pelvis and ovaries and to the external genitals.
– This will increase sensitivity and reaction
4 major segments
4.) Internal os
4 major layers
The position of the uterus is as follows:
Anteverted – Tipped forward
Retroverted – Tipped backward
Anteflexed – Fundus points forward
Retroflexed – Fundus points backward
– This is a surgical procedure to remove the uterus for a number of different medical reasons
– The surgery will remove the body, fundus, and cervix of the uterus.
– A partial hysterectomy may involve the removal of the uterine body while leaving the cervix intact.
– A hysterectomy is the most commonly performed gynecological surgical procedure