There a few types or variations of this specific Vitamin.
It s considered a fat soluble vitamin.
In this group, for humans – the most important type is Vitamin D3.
Diet does account for only a small portion of Vitamin D.
Different Types of Vitamin D
1.) D1 – ergocalciferol + lumisterol
2.) D2 – ergocalciferol
3.) D3 – cholecalciferol
4.) D4 – 22-dihydroegocalciferol
5.) D5 – sitocalciferol
- Production of D3 occurs in the skin from 7-dehydrocholesterol and UV light from sunlight
- Some animals have very little vitamin D production in this manner
- Concentration of melanin is important
- Fish oils
- Beef liver
- Important role in health of many organ systems
- Helps the absorption of calcium and phosphorus
- Can promote calcification of certain tissues
- Affects certain hormones
- Affects the Immune system
Other health benefits
- Cancer prevention
- Improved immune system response
- Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease
Toxicity – is often rare
- Excess urine
- Abdominal pain
- Possible renal failure