Amitiza is a medication with a primary use for constipation. The medication is also known as Lubiprostone.
It is important to understand that the use of this medication is for constipation that is severe and chronic. It is not intended for everyday Constipation or occasional problems.
This medication is used in other conditions such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome when constipation is more often seen.
Method of Action:
– Increases the activity of chloride channels in the intestines
– This will cause increased fluid with chloride molecules
– This will soften the stool
– Increases bowel movements
– No tolerance to the medication
– Dependency is not typically seen
– No adverse effects with regards to electrolytes
– Abdominal bloating or distension
– Abdominal pain
*** – do not take if having a GI obstruction